initramfs.cpio

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Mar 24 13:28:53 EDT 2013

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:27:27 +0800, ishare said:

>  Hi :
>     I find that my initramfs_data.cpio generated by gcc does not contain init
 files ,which should be
>     executed by terminal initialization.
>
>     My initramfs_data.cpio only contains these :  /dev  /dev/consol  /root .
>
>     where to search the init file?

You want to use mkinitramfs or mkinird or dracut or whatever your distro calls
it to create one.  gcc has no *clue* what needs to go in the initramfs (for
example, if your root file system is on a LVM partition on a LUKS-encrypted
disk, the initramfs has to do a 'cryptsetup openLuks' and then an 'lvm varyon'
before the mount will succeed).  Plus any modprobes that may or may not be
needed, etc etc etc.