BFQ: simple elevator

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 23:52:01 EDT 2013

Hi....

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:
> At any rate I suppose the best way to get started on this is to get a
> grip on the api's involved in receiving requests from above and
> dispatching them below.  Is studying the deadline scheduler a good
> start or would I be better off looking at documentation?

Valdis already gave you great feedback, so I'll just add that what you
need is lots of experiments.

Reading your detailed proposal, sounds like what you're doing is much
similar to Con Kolivas old- Staircase scheduler (a process scheduler).
The difference is, you're implementing it on disk which has way bigger
latency to consider. But again, IMHO there is nothing to stop you from
experimenting.

So I suggest, maybe you need to add something that anticipatory does,
wait for few moments to anticipate I/O coming in nearby sectors. You
need to define the limit of "nearby". If nothing coming, just keep
moving. If there is one, service them while changing the "service
path".

Just my 2 cents idea......

--
regards,