do_initcalls

Tobias Boege tobias at gambas-buch.de
Tue Mar 19 17:26:09 EDT 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, ishare wrote:
> > /**
> >  * module_init() - driver initialization entry point
> >  * @x: function to be run at kernel boot time or module insertion
> >  *
> >  * module_init() will either be called during do_initcalls() (if
> >  * builtin) or at module insertion time (if a module).  There can only
> >  * be one per module.
> >  */
>
>    Does this mean it chould not be called during do_initcalls if I config it as   a module ?

do_initcalls() is done at boot time. If you insert a module into the running
kernel, how could its init function be called at boot time?

>    If this ,how to change it to be builtin module?

Whether it is compiled as a module or not is a configuration issue. (Please,
CMIIW).

>    what is  called  module insertion time? Is that time I explicitely  call some insert function?

I hope I got your question right (no, I hope I didn't but anyway here's my
answer to it): module insertion time is precisely the time a module is
inserted. You'd normally use modprobe or suchlike for this task.

As the comment above states, the function registered via module_init() is
called by the kernel's dynamic linker at this point.

I suggest to afford some of the well-known books on the Linux kernel. I
believe you can't avoid to do so when trying around with the kernel.

Regards,
Tobi