Direct IO and Page cache

Chinmay V S cvs268 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 06:21:51 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Kumar amit mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 05:14:21PM +0800, Chinmay V S wrote:
>> > We have direct I/O(O_DIRECT), for example raw devices(/dev/rawctl) that
>> > map to the block devices and we also have page cache. Now If I've
>> > understood this correctly, direct I/O will bypass this page cache, which
>> > is fine, I'll not get into the performance debate, but what about data
>> > consistency. Kernel cannot and __should'nt__ try to control how the
>> > applications are being written. So one bad day somebody comes up with
>> > an application which does both these two types of IO(one that goes
>> > through page cache and the other that doesn't) and in that application,
>> > one instance is writing directly to the backend device and the other
>> > instance, who is not aware of this write, goes ahead and writes to the
>> > page cache, and that write would be written later to the backend device.
>> > So wouldn't we end up corrupting the on disk data.
>>
>> Yes. And that is the responsibility of the application. While the
>> existence of O_DIRECT may not be common sense, anyone who knows about
>> it *must* know that it bypasses the kernel page-cache and hence *must*
>> know the consequences of doing cached and direct I/O on the same file
>> simultaneously.
>>
>> > I can think of multiple other scenarios which could corrupt the on-disk
>> > data, if there isn't any safeguarding policies employed by the kernel.
>> > But I'm very much sure that kernel is aware of such nasty attempts, and
>> > I'd like to know how does kernel takes care of this.
>>
>> O_DIRECT is an explicit flag not enabled by default.
>>
>> It is the app's responsibility to ensure that it does NOT misuse the
>> feature. Essentially specifying the O_DIRECT flag is the app's way of
>> saying - "Hey kernel, i know what i am doing. Please step aside and
>> let me talk to the hardware directly. Please do NOT interfere."
>>
>> The kernel happily obliges.
>>
>> Later, the app should NOT go crying back to kernel (and blaming it),
>> if the app manages to screw-up the direct "relationship" with the
>> hardware.
>
> So leaving the hardware at the mercy of the application doesn't sound
> like a good practice. This __may__ compromise kernel stability too. Also
> think of this:
>
> In app1:
> fdx = open("blah" , O_RW|O_DIRECT);
> write(fdx,buf,sizeof(buf));
>
> In app2(unaware of app1):
> fdy = open("blah", O_RW);
> write(fdy,buf, sizeof(buf));
>
> I think this isn't highly unlikely to do, and if you agree with me then
> we may end up with same could-be/would-be data-corruption. Now who should
> be blamed here, app1, app2 or the kernel? Or it will be handled
> differently here?

As long as both app1 and app2 are managing separate files (even on the
same underlying storage media), the situation looks good.

>From an app developer's perspective :
In case both the apps do I/O on the same file then it implies
knowledge of the other app. (Otherwise how would the second app know
that the file exists at such and such location?) And hence the second
app really ought to think about what it is going to do.

case1: app1 uses regular I/O;
==> app2 should NOT use direct I/O.

case2: app1 uses direct I/O;
==> app2 should NOT use regular I/O.

>From a kernel developer's perspective :
The kernel driver guarantees coherency between then page-cache and
data transferred using O_DIRECT. Refer to the page-15 of this deck[1]
that talks about the design of O_DIRECT.

In either case the bigger problem lies in the fact that both the apps
need to work out a mutex mechanism to prevent the handful of
readers-writers problems[2] when both try to read/write from the same
file simultaneously.

So it is more important(in fact, downright necessary) to ensure mutual
exclusion between the 2 apps during I/O. Otherwise one of them will
end-up overwriting the changes made by the other, unless both the apps
are doing ONLY read()s.

[1] http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2001/papers/html/AArcangeli-o_direct.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readers-writers_problem

regards