Where is the system call table in linux kernel v3.9?

Iker Pedrosa ikerpedrosam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 05:04:45 EDT 2013

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to linux kernel and I am trying to do some of the exercises/examples of the Linux Kernel Development book by Robert Love. For the moment I'm trying to create a system call (Chapter 5) but I am unable to do the first step which states the following:
"Add an entry to the end of the system call table.This needs to be done for each architecture that supports the system call (which, for most calls, is all the architectures).The position of the syscall in the table, starting at zero, is its system call number. For example, the tenth entry in the list is assigned syscall number nine."

My problem is that I am unable to find the file that holds the table. In the book the file that needs to be changed is the entry.S but it no longers exists in v3.9. In an example that I have found on the internet, which is done using v3.0, the file to change is syscall_table_32.S. But I've got the same problem, it doesn't exist. So anybody can help me to find the table? I know that I should be using v2.6 of the kernel but I don't know if that version will work with the distribution that I'm using.

The question is also in stackoverflow so if someone wants to answer there I won't have any problem. The link to the page is the following: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17652555/where-is-the-system-call-table-in-linux-kernel-v3-9

--
Iker Pedrosa <ikerpedrosam at gmail.com>