Debugging techniques inside kernel

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 8 12:19:12 EDT 2013

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:18:02 -0700, Anand Arumugam said:

> Try using strace and see if all of the different crashes have the same or similar looking call stack.

strace is userspace, and *highly* unlikely to track down random memory
corruption inside the kernel.  Random kernel corruption usually means that something
*else* stomped on the memory - which in turn means that the syscall that
finally trips over the corrupt memory is probably not the one that did it.

Not saying it can't possibly do so, but it's not where I'd start.

Might want to run memtest86+ or similar, help rule out dodgy memory.