makefile

David kiarie davidkiarie4 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 09:07:29 EDT 2013

Hi everybody,
I currently started learning how to write Linux drivers.I am following
Linux Device Drivers Third Edition.
I have everything set right but the makefile provided seem not to work.I am
familiar with makefiles but the kernel build system confuses me
Here is the makefile:

# If KERNELRELEASE is defined, we've been invoked from the
# kernel build system and can use its language.
ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
obj-m := hello.o
# Otherwise we were called directly from the command
# line; invoke the kernel build system.
else
KERNELDIR ?= /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD := $(shell pwd)
default:
$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) modules
endif
It give the following output when I run make :

make: Nothing to be done for `default'.