Android Kernel Compilation

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:28:14 EST 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:24:01 +0100, Matthias Brugger said:
> 2013/1/30 Rahul Gandhi <rahul.rahulgags at gmail.com>:
> > I am trying to compile Kernel for my Android device. I am using the NDK
> > Toolchain (arm-linux-androideabi-4.4.3). When I use the defconfig, the
> > kernel compiles without any errors but when I flash it onto my device, it
> > either gets stuck on the HTC logo or continuously reboots.
> > If I pull the config.gz from my device, it gives errors at the tome of
> > compilation.
> >
> > What could have possibly gone wrong?
>
> first of all, check the kernel logs. that will give you a clue where
> to start digging.

If it hangs on the HTC logo or reboots, his kernel isn't living long enough
for userspace to retrieve the dmesg buffer.

First thing I'd try is a combo of the 3 kernel parameters 'earlyprintk',
'ignore_loglevel', 'initcall_debug' and either serial console or netconsole.
Though it's quite possible that he's dying before even that infrastructure can
give a hint, in which case it gets a lot trickier (and will probably
require some help from the hardware platform in the form of either a JTAG
interface or enough infrastructure to use kgdb or similar tool...)