guides to board files -> device-tree and Android -> mainline?

Matthias Brugger matthias.bgg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 10:13:20 EST 2013

Hi Paul,

2013/1/26 Paul Wise <pabs3 at bonedaddy.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any guides for developers new to Linux for:
>
>       * converting board files to device-tree
>       * porting drivers and patches from Android to current mainline?

there are several parts of Android, which are not part of the mainline
kernel. Others are in staging. See
http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project for more details.

Regarding drivers for chips on your board, see the kernel
documentation about coding style
(http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/CodingStyle) and
submitting drivers
(http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers),
submitting patches etc.

Beware to send the patches/drivers to the right mailing list (see the
MAINTAINERS file).

If you want to add the board itself and it is ARM based, then you have
to create a device tree file. I think the older board files are no
more accepted in the mainline kernel.

Hope that answered your question.
Cheers and happy hacking.
Matthias

> There are a lot of ARM mobile devices out there that aren't supported by
> Linux mainline and having these guides available would really help
> getting the usual Linux distros to support more mobile devices. Usually
> the SoC is supported by mainline but the board is not, as is the case
> for the device I have been trying to work on:
>
> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/12/03/debian-mobile/
>
> --
> bye,
> pabs