locking spinlocks during copy_to_user, copy_from_user

Pablo Pessolani ppessolani at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:52:38 EST 2013

Hi:
   It is well know that is not recomended to keep a spinlock locked during operations that can be preempted. Some of these operations are copy_to_user, copy_from_user.
Below is the code of the write_lock() as a sample.

340 static inline void __write_lock(rwlock_t *lock)
 341{
 342        preempt_disable(); <<<<<< THE ISSUE IS HERE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
 343        rwlock_acquire(&lock->dep_map, 0, 0, _RET_IP_);
 344        LOCK_CONTENDED(lock, _raw_write_trylock, _raw_write_lock);
 345}

On write_unlock() the preemtion is enable.

My question is: Is there any know consequence if I enable preemption before copy_to_user/copy_from user (keeping the spinlock locked) and then disable preemption again after the copy?????
i.e.:
write_lock(&lock);
 preempt_enable();
 copy_to_user(.......);