Intro and some questions

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Wed Feb 20 02:31:33 EST 2013

Greetings,

I just discovered this list while beating my head against the wall
(kernel noobs do that a lot, I hear).  I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm mainly an EE but with fairly extensive Unix and Linux user space
coding and with embedded system programming.  I'm a newborn infant when
it comes to the kernel.

I'm working with the BeagleBone and Robert Nelson's Angstrom derivative

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/stable-kernel

I intend to embed the BB in our new product if I can solve a small
problem.  The BB has 2 SPI ports, 1 with 1 chip select and the other
with 2.  Only one port is supported in the standard kernel.  I found
some info that guided me into activating the new port and having all
three devices enumerated in /dev.

What I have not yet been able to do is figure out how to enable that
second chip select line.  So my first question is, where do I start
looking for the existing code?  I'm hoping that I'll be lucky enough to
reuse that code, changing a bit or two in the CPU register.

Thanks,
John

--
John DeArmond