hd controller

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 7 19:26:45 EST 2013

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 07:48:39 +0800, Peter Teoh said:

> So the drivers just literally concatenate these command into a string and
> send it over to the device.

The reason that good disk drivers are hard to write is because it isn't
*just* literally concatenating the commands - it also has to do memory
management (make sure that everybody's data ends up in the right buffers),
command queue management, elevator management (if there's multiple I/O
requests pending from userspace, what order do we issue them in?), error
recovery, power management, and a ton of other stuff...