When does the /dev/sda1 node comes into being ?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 5 23:29:24 EST 2013

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 01:26:44 +0800, horseriver said:
>   During booting period .every device will have a node at /dev/ folder.
>   what is the detail of ths procedure?

'man udev'.  Although the details are a tad murkier for kernels after
2.6.32 that include CONFIG_DEVTMPFS in the config.

Also, note that not all systems will have a /dev/sda1 - that assumes a
partition table on a particular type of disk handled by a specific device
driver.  If that disk has no recognizable partition table, it will just have a
/dev/sda entry.  If the disk is driven by a different driver, you'll see
/dev/hda entries instead.  And if your boot storage device is an SD card
or something, you may have /dev/mmc0 or other entries.

And this:

[~] ls -l /dev/sdre1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 133, 385 2012-11-27 05:17 /dev/sdre1

is how I pay the rent. :)  (Bonus points if you can figure out why
my system reports that. :)