Process exit codes

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:11:40 EST 2013

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:07:37 +0100, Grzegorz Dwornicki said:

> I guess that there may be a better API that why this thread was created in
> first place. My project goal is to make process checkpoints like cryopid
> had. This is for my thesis and will be GPL for everyone after my
> graduaction. I am researching this subject at this point.

In that case, you want to go look at the checkpoint/restart patches that are
already in the kernel, and in process.  Hint - it's a *lot* harder to do this
right than a thesis project (unless you want to only do a very restricted
subset, like "no open files", "no TCP connections", etc).  In fact, a lot of
the 'namespace' stuff was added to help support C/R.  For instance, the PID
namespace is there to deal with the fact that if you checkpoint a process with
PID 23974, you need to be able to guarantee that it gets 23974 on restart (as
otherwise you hit problems with getpid() and kill() not referring to the
process you though it did). Of course, this majorly sucks if that PID is
already in use. The solution there is to spawn a new, empty PID namespace to
guarantee that number is available...

https://ckpt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page  is a good place to start.