Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)

Rami Rosen roszenrami at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:26:58 EST 2013

Hi,
> ext2 and ext3 are kind of obsolete now.

Indeed, ext4 was integrated into Linux kernel back in 2008.
Amongs its known features which do not exist in ext3 are support for
huge files (like   1 EB (exabyte or somtimes termed exbibyte); 1 EB is
 1024 PB (petabyte) whereas
1 PB is  1024 TB (terabyte).
a directory can contain a maximum of 64,000 subdirectories (whereas we
have 32,000 in ext3)
Amongst its other features are Journal checksumming, Multiblock
allocator, Faster file system checking and more.

If you prefer to start with simpler implementations, ext3 is of course
simpler, and of course ext2 is even simpler than ext3.

But in case you intend to start with ext2/ext3, and later perform
a pass on all your documentation to update it to ext4, take into
consideration that this will take quite a time; depending on how deep
you intend to delve into implementation details.

Good luck!

Regards,
Rami Rosen
http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen