user space vs kernel space address space

Miles MH Chen orca.chen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 10:31:30 EST 2013

Hi Pritam,

Every page frame is controlled by kernel, but kernel does not have to map
all pages in all time.
On a 32-bit bit, 3:1 split Linux kernel, the kernel has at most 1GB VIRTUAL
address space. (user space has 3GB).
If there are 2GB of physical DRAM on the system, our kernel obviously
cannot map 2GB memory into 1GB virtual address space.

To solve this problem, the kernel map part of DRAM to normal area (1-to-1
mapping). A page from normal zone can be accessed
by kernel by using the existing mapping.
Other memory is called high memory. When kernel wants to access the high
memory pages,
it maps them to kernel address space (by vmalloc, fixed map or permanent
map).

(A 64-bit CPU can make life much easier. We can map a lot of DRAM directly.)

Regards,
MH