module vs main kernel

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 02:31:27 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Abu Rasheda <rcpilot2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have my implementation of socket APIs,
>
> I sock_unregister(AF_INET); & sock_register(&inet_family_ops), this replaces
> kernel resident socket related calls with my socket related calls. My code
> is loaded as kernel module.
>
> My question, is Linux kernel able to call its own socket call more
> efficiently (less overhead, fewer CPU cycles) than mine ? code is running on
> Intel x86_64 arch.
>
> Any pointer is appreciated.

IMHO, strictly from module vs core kernel code perspective, there is
no speed difference.

The reason is, once the kernel is loaded, it is the kernel itself. So
it is not separated into isolated segment or something like that. Yes
module is loaded into vmalloc-ed memory area, but that's it.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant