Understanding disassembly x86 + understanding function call + parameter pass and stack frame

Saket Sinha saket.sinha89 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 05:43:42 EDT 2013

Actually I need to ask you something rather than offering a solution.
Actually I have a similar sort of situation so I think I would ask here.

The issue I am facing is that I have been developing a filesystem
driver(over x86) which has become  "unstable"  by which I mean ,  at
compile time it is building but during runtime it fails when I call the
corresponding APIs from the user-space.

In order to find out exactly where it is failing, I need to debug the
driver.
I am very new to kernel development. I have heard about KGDB and KDB but it
takes quite a lot to get them working so waht are the other tools available?

Regards,
Saket Sinha