Documentation on device-mapper and friends

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 07:54:11 EDT 2013

Kumar Amit Mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for information on device-mapper, the kernel space utility
>for
>Logical Volume Management (LVM2). It seems that the relevant code
>resides under
>drivers/md and a lot of other information is under
>Documentation/device-mapper/
>That's fine, but is there any other document that gives more finer
>details about
>the device-mapper. I've also recently subsribed to the device-mapper
>mailing
>list.
>
>-Amit

A nice diagram of the overall storage subsystem is at http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/oss/linux-io-stack-diagram.html

Dm is just a single block in it, but it can help to see where it fits in overall.

Btw: that diagram doesn't show the legacy ata driver that creates /dev/hdx style devices.  Has that been dropped while I wasn't paying attention?  I haven't used it in years, but I thought it was still used on embedded systems.

Greg