Do we use ARM's system mode in linux kernel

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:50:07 EDT 2013

Dhiraj Kumar <dhlinx at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>ARM is running in Supervisor(SVC) Mode in kernel. ARM also has another
>mode
>called System(SYS) Mode. I just needed info if linux kernel uses system
>mode of ARM processor.
>
>Please share information if anyone knows.
>
>Thanks in advance !!!!!

I seriously doubt it.  Lots of cpu's have more than 2 modes (ie. Kernel/userspace), but unix and linux have always just used the 2.

There used to be realtime kernel's that would use the various modes to enforce prioritization, but as far as I know that was never done with linux.

Fyi: those realtime systems probably still do that.  My experience/knowledge is way old.

Greg