Kexec sys call code

leo kirotawa kirotawa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:30:38 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm working in a project and there I need use kexec code to do somethings.
I read a lot of the kexec-tools code (user-land) and kexec-sys call
(k-land) and I'd like to be sure about some arguments there.

In kexec we have that kexec_image and into it that nr_segments and the
segments itself. I know that kernel image passed by kexec in user land
(bzImage) is copy in a buffer and in kexe_load it receives the entry point
for this new kernel (bzImage)  and the start position where (I'm supposing
) start the kernel image. So , my question is, using that nr_segments or
segemtns by itself can I determine the size of the bzImage/image in
kexec-sys call?

And these guesses about entry point and the address of start kernel image,
is it correct?

This is the kexec.c file (where we have the sys call and  a bunch of
another code).

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/kernel/kexec.c