an online kernel crash book, and wondering what's deprecated

Rohan Puri rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:47:36 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>   in my online travels yesterday, i ran across this gem, "Linux Kernel
> Crash Book":
>
>   http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/crash-book.html
>
> and am now wondering about what would constitute a reasonable (and
> minimal?) list of canonical kernel debugging tools.
>
>   first, while the book above covers Linux Kernel Crash Dump (LKCD),
> the author freely admits that it's been pretty much obsoleted by the
> more recent and flexible kdump, so there seems to be little value in
> digging into LKCD (or, in my case, adding any coverage of it to a
> kernel debugging course, which i am currently designing).
>
>   next, someone else's course i'm teaching next week has a kernel
> debugging chapter which opens with netdump and diskdump before moving
> onto kdump and kexec, but those earlier utilities are *also*
> deprecated these days,
>

> http://serverfault.com/questions/181554/how-should-i-capture-linux-kernel-panic-stack-traces
>
> so i would be tempted to skip any coverage of netdump and diskdump in
> favour of additional and more advanced coverage of kdump and kexec.
>
>   along those lines, i'm just digging into ftrace and was wondering if
> it in any way obsoleted systemtap, but i've heard from more than one
> source that while ftrace is allegedly more powerful, systemtap still
> has its place and is worth talking about.
>
>   so ... if one was going to put together a (small) toolbox of kernel
> debugging tools, what's worth covering?  interested in any feedback.
>
> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Hi Robert,

Good to know that you are preparing material. For linux kernel debugging, I
would love if you could include, kdb, kgdb and also their setup
environment, like now most people do development on Virtual Machine. So the
debugger needs to be setup on the VM and its serial port to the host
machine, where the debugging logs would be displayed.

- Rohan