Problem during /init execve

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 05:00:18 EDT 2012

> The result is the same with and without CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR enabled.
so may be its not getxattr, but inode itself is null:

if (!inode || !inode->i_op->getxattr)

you can verify that by breaking if condition into two separate conditions.

> CONFIG_AUDIT is disabled in my config.
> A priori, I don't need it at the moment.

There are other options like CONFIG_AUDIT_TREE, disable that too. Also
make sure that initrd image has the ext2 driver compiled for this
kernel.

> After searching 'getxattr' reference in my whole linux directory, .getxattr
> field
> should be initialized with "generic_getxattr" in ext2 and ext3 case.
> Is it really what it need, or does it require something specific else?

If you are using vanilla ext2 fs and CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR is set, then
it must be initialized in static inode operations table, look at:
ext2_file_inode_operations for files
ext2_dir_inode_operations for dir
ext2_special_inode_operations for special files
ext2_fast_symlink_inode_operations and ext2_symlink_inode_operations
for symlinks
all of them are compiled and initialized with generic_getxattr if you
compile with CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR.

-Rajat