Missing __versions section on .ko

lucien xin lucien.xin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:04:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Pritam Bankar
<pritambankar1988 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Pritam Bankar
> <pritambankar1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any idea what causes __versions section to get added in *.ko module. A
> > simple hello.ko on ubuntu 12.04 i386 machine gets loaded successfully.
> > Other module just doesn't get loaded giving error " Invalid module ".
> > When I compared both modules with objdump -h I found __versions
> > section was missing from second module and that can be the reason its
> > not getting loaded. How can I add this section to other .ko ? What
> > causes __versions to get added in ko ?
>

> I have compiled both modules with modpost and Module.symvers.

The real reason why kernel prevent the module outside to insmod is ABI,
Application binary interface, which is referred in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_binary_interface. If you do want
to bypass it without rebuilding kernel ,you can do like this.
http://hi.baidu.com/wzt85/item/dcea082c90c9ed0942634ad2  :)