kernel stack memory

Kshemendra KP kshemendra at suphalaam.com
Thu Sep 13 03:30:00 EDT 2012

Not sure for all the tasks slab is created initailly with contiguous
memory. Slab cache
is shrinked when the system is low on memory.

If the memory is contiguous wriring few bytes after the kernel stack may
corrupt a task_struct
of other task and  it may for eg. corrupt the linked list element resuling
in a crash. If it is not
contiguous, then it may corrupt some other data. If the data is crucial
like link or based on
the value some decision is taken then it will crash.  If some statistics
field is overwritten
it may not impact the system stability.