Linux Kernel Development

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Sep 9 06:36:36 EDT 2012

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Alexandru Juncu <alex.juncu at rosedu.org> wrote:
> > On 9 September 2012 06:15, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am interested to contribute to linux kernel development process. I
> >> have been working on Linux for the last ten years and have been a
> >> great fan of Linux OS since beginning. Any good references to start
> >> learning C and understand the linux kernel source code.

... snip ...

> I am totally new to C Programming Language. How do i start learning C
> and which books or tutorials i need to refer.

  not to throw cold water on this plea for assistance, but it seems
odd that you can have worked on linux for 10 years and be a "great
fan", and still be "totally new" to C language.  that tells me that
you simply aren't ready to dive into kernel programming yet.  how can
you have spent 10 years immersed in linux without having at least a
passing acquaintance with C?

  i think this topic needs to be in an FAQ somewhere, something like,
"so you want to get into kernel programming?  here's what you need to
do first."  unless something like that already exists.

  sorry to sound cynical about this, but this question comes up over
and over again -- people asking how to "get into" kernel programming.
and i think a beginning to an answer to that is that, if you haven't
put even a minimal amount of effort into learning the basics or
figuring out how to look through the kernel source, you're not ready.
it's like saying, "gee, i'd really like to be a car mechanic, but i've
never looked under the hood.  how do i get started?"

  go learn C first.  then you can at least take a shot at it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca