Is it possible to use a local drive to cache an NFS share

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:51:51 EDT 2012

Hi,

NFS client support FSCache support which is default in recent kernels
CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y, But as I remember, it is a read cache (not even
write-through), so a compile load generates lots of new files, so
those won't really be benefited by FSCache.

But as you are pointing out, your setup is a single user access, so
probably you can relax some of the NFS consistency options, e.g. async
mount is really suitable for your case, also you can increase actimeo
values. Compiler writes will hit-page cache and with asynchronous
writebacks, it is way more faster than SSDs :).

-Rajat