memory management with mmap

Chetan Nanda chetannanda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 23:05:43 EDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012 11:49 AM, "Sengottuvelan S" <sengottuvelan.s at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mulyadi
>
> I am able to do mmap and access virual-memory address and pages for a
single process from user-space and working fine. I am not sure how to do it
for multiple processes for shared resources using mmap.  I better explain
in detail here what I am experimenting it.

> for example:
>
> Kernel allocates kmalloc or vmalloc of 100 pages and set those pages
as reserved. Kernel uses these pages to send/receive data to Process A or B
depends on a condition.

> Process A and B do mmap those region to get/set data on those
virtual-addresses/pages because I want faster access from userpace to
kernel.

> Anyone knows if this will work with mmap?. Please let me know  if
anyother way to do it.

Not sure about your actual requiremnent, but there are other better way of
sharing data between processes already exist. E.g. Shared memory.
Advisable to use them instead of writing a new one