aio / ioctl / sideband informations

Ezequiel Garcia elezegarcia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:21:38 EDT 2012

Hi Fred,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM, EVS Hardware Dpt
<hardware.evs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ezequiel,
>
> It's our own HD Sdi board. As far as I understand, being professional
> broadcast oriented, it doesn't fall into V4L usage.

Wow, you read my mind, I was going to suggest you to look into
V4L2 framework :-)
If you've already considered and discarded that path, then that's fine.

Let me just say V4L2 has evolved a lot and it's nowadays quite mature.
If you ever plan to try to mainline your driver
(which has an endless amount of benefits) then you should start
by RFCing something to the linux-media list.

If you implement a whole bunch of APIs out of tree, you may end
with some weird implementation, which may be impossible to mainline
and improbable to get support from developers around here.

Of course, this is not necessarily your case.

Hope this helps and good luck!

    Ezequiel