enabling config_wireless_ext

captain captain.deadly at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:04:31 EDT 2012

Sorry Confused. I'm building from the latest 3.6 kernel from git in
order to be able to submit patches. Well if I get that far. I'm running
the built on my netbook but I'm having problems building my wifi drivers
against the 3.6.0 kernel. Basically I've got an error:

error: 'struct net_device' has no member named 'wireless_handlers'

Which is fair enough if you look in the kernel source
include/linux/netdevice.h there's a "'#ifdef CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT"

So this is easy all I have to do is enable that switch and rebuild the
kernel. You might not believe it but that's were I come unstuck. I did a
search in "make menuconfig" for that switch and it does provide some
info but normally when I do a search the help tells me where to find it.
(Which is a God send.) So searching for it is finding it but not giving
me suitable help on where it is in the menu structure.

I then decided that I'd search for it in the .config file. Can't find it
in there either.

This is a mailing list for newbies and I know this is a stupid question
but can anybody advise me on where that switch is in make menuconfig?

I did find this page out there but that's pointing at Kconfig in source
code not where it is in the menus:

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/WIRELESS_EXT.html