Advice on first patch

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Oct 2 07:29:14 EDT 2012

matthew at walster.org writes:

> I'm hopefully going to be submitting the attached patch to the
> mainline kernel tree, and as it's my first patch, I figured it would
> be wise to run it past KN first in case I'd done something
> monumentally stupid! I found it through a checkpatch run, from the
> excellent talk by GregKH at FOSDEM a year or so back.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Looks fine to me, but you might want to remove/update the related
comment as well:

        /*
         *      This ALLMULTI check should be redundant by 1.4
         *      so don't forget to remove it.
         *
         *      Seems, you forgot to remove it. All silly devices
         *      seems to set IFF_PROMISC.
         */

        else if (1 /*dev->flags&IFF_PROMISC */ ) {
                if (unlikely(!ether_addr_equal_64bits(eth->h_dest,
                                                      dev->dev_addr)))
                        skb->pkt_type = PACKET_OTHERHOST;
        }

Looks like someone was expecting a 1.4 at the time.  We know better now
:-)

Bjørn