Asking another process sleep from another process or interrupt context

SandeepKsinha sandeepksinha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:50:00 EST 2012

Hey Sunil,

Hope you are doing good.

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Sunil Agham <sunil.agham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> This is what I am trying to do in linux kernel. When some event occurs;
> Process X wants to tell process Y to un-schedule itself(Y) [ and change
> state from "running or ready to run" to "not ready to run until told
> otherwise" ]. Process X will take care of waking up Y later.
>
> One approach probably is to set "*need_resched*" for process Y so that
> schedular picks another process at the first opportunity. Is there any
> other alternative ? Is it safe to do this from interrupt context instead of
> process X's context ?

Interrupt context is a better alternative. Make changes around the code
which picks up the next process for execution. The waking up would be taken
care automatically in that case.

Also, this approach would be least disruptive if compared with the other
alternative you listed out.

Mulyadi,
Any help?

> --
> Sunil

Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”