driver questions

Christopher Biessener christopherpb at voomtech.com
Wed Nov 21 13:11:39 EST 2012

I have searched using google for information regarding linux driver
development and have found a lot, but not the answers to these questions:
* Can 2 different kernel drivers access the same device at the same time?
* Is every driver known as a kernel module?

Basically I need advice on if I can and how to sidestep some of the
libata device calls.  We do not want to replace the entire libata, just
some of it.  We have a custom piece of hardware that writes to hard
drives.  When we use another one of our devices to act as the host the
client device runs at full speed.  When we run the python GUI with our
custom C++ extension using only SATA ports on the motherboard the
program runs at full speed.  But when we use the python GUI to drive our
custom hardware we lose 40% of the speed.  We believe the speed loss to
be in how libata optimizes how it sends commands/data to the hard
drive/device.

Thanks in advance,

Christopher