Managing linux-next tree for submitting patches

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:44:13 EST 2012

Kumar amit mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 02:47:15AM -0500, devendra.aaru wrote:
>> that maintainer's tree is next tree so that next can  pickup. once
>the
>> next pics up your changes gets merged there in next.
>>
>> always its good to work against' maintainers trees, if its a fix then
>> its better work on the maintainer's torvalds's tree otherwise the
>next
>> tree in maintainer's repo
>In past, I've been advised to base my work against linux-next tree.
>See the mail [1] from Greg K H.
>
>[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/newbies/msg46076.html

The linux kernel is too big with too many maintains for one simple rule to work.

Linux-next is an aggregator for lots of maintainer trees.  In many/most cases it is a good place to work.

But some subsystems have their own trees where they test out patches for a while before sending the patches to linux-next.  For those the maintainer may require the patches apply to their tree,  not linux-next.

Ext4 is an example of subsystem with 2 or 3 patch preparation trees.  You have to know which tree to work against.

No easy answer i know of.

Greg