Communication between kernel and kernel module

drewd77.gm drewd77.gm at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:18:32 EDT 2012

Hi,

Is there any way to call a function defined in a kernel module from within
the kernel proper?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to keep track of when and for how long a process is being
executed on the processor, i.e. I need to know when context switches occur.

There is a function called context_switch() in linux/kernel/sched/core.c
that is called whenever a context switch happens. I would like to call a
function in a kernel module I've written from within context_switch() and
pass some data to it.

I've seen how to communicate between user space and kernel space, such as
using a file in /dev or using system calls, but not how to communicate
within the kernel itself.

Regards,
Drew