rootfile system porting for FPGA [/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off]

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:42:52 EDT 2012

> my kernel commad line is
> "mem=32M console=ttySAC0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
> initrd=0x80800000,8M user_debug=31"
>

> Below are my /linuxrc and /etc/inittab file contents
> linuxrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/echo "entered linuxrc script"
> /bin/sh

No need to run shell here, your /sbin/init actually points to the the
busybox binary. You juts need to instruct the system to run getty on
the console which will launch the login program. login will further
provide you with a shell to type cmds etc.

> exec /sbin/init

This should point to /bin/busybox

> /etc/inittab:
>
> # Run gettys in standard runlevels
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttySAC0

Busybox init did not used support runlevels (not sure of the latest
versions). I'm running BB 1.16.2 and that has the following line for
spawning getty on the console:

tts/0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L tts/0 115200

Try adding this line to inittab (modify according to your setup).

BTW, what version of BB are you running?

HTH,
-mandeep