Kernel latency for handling the Network traffic

Suresh Kumar Subramanian sureshkumar.s at carc.co.in
Thu May 3 07:03:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am building the router based on linux kernel.

The hardware details are below,
2 - 64 bit quad core processor (3Ghz core).
RAM-  24GB RAM.
PCI express slot- connected with Quad Port 100Mbps Ethernet adapter -2. (so total 8 ethernet interfaces)

I just want to calculate the maximum traffic the  router can handle..?.

The maximum traffic could be, also 8  ports(100Mbps) * 2 directions = 1600Mbps.

Can this system(kernel + hardware) handle this much traffic. (Assume the best case)?

I think,  There is calculation to identify the packet processing time in linux kernel (kernel & hw cpu freq). I am not aware of this.

Can some one help me to identify this.

Thanks
Suresh.