Playing with Network Stack

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Tue Mar 13 17:07:32 EDT 2012

From: kernelnewbies-bounces+jharan=bytemobile.com at kernelnewbies.org [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces+jharan=bytemobile.com at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of james jones
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:50 PM
To: kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Playing with Network Stack

Greetings,

I hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I had an idea for project, but I lack some of the know how. I was wonder if it might be possible to have a kernel module or an application that can inspect and mangle a packet before it gets routed? I don't want to just sniff the traffic. I want to be able to look at the packet and then hand it back to the network stack for processing. If so is there some reading or example code I could look at?

Thanks in advance,

-James

You probably want to do a search on "netfilter hook".

Jeff Haran