Kernel threads and system usage metric.

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 13:25:29 EST 2012

Hi :)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 18:39, Daniel Hilst <danielhilst at gmail.com> wrote:
> The processes that appear in top with brackets are the kernel threads?

Yup :)

> If so, this threads spend all its time on system mode, right?

Yes, it supposed to ...

>By the
> system mode I mean the %sy on top header, since kernel threads hasn't
> any memory mapped to user space, it can't run on user space at any time,
> right?

IIRC, kernel thread simply "borrow" any previous scheduled task's
address space. In that matter, it also has user address space. So, if
wanted, kernel thread could access user space. But normally it doesn't
do it.

> So the total of system mode usage is the sum of all processes processing
> in kernel space, plus the kernel threads processing, right?

remember that kernel threads are also processes, so no need to
differentiate between normal processes and kernel threads, especially
when we talk about CPU utilization.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa