kernel boot procedure

beyond.hack beyond.hack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 16:08:28 EST 2012

hello experts,,

I am starting out and heavily *confused* for the part of linux kernel boot::
*(plz. do rectify me at all the wrong places)*

       when bootloader in bios executes its code, it do POST and other
things...then as I read from somewhere  kernel does initrd to load some
basic modules so as to mount the root file system and then removes
itself.....
1.how does kernel do initrd as the kernel(vmlinuz) itself is present on the
harddisk ....i mean how the control is transferrred to the kernel(present
in hdd) from the bios????
      --at initial point drivers(i mean the protocol to access the
harddisk) is not known then how the MBR is accessed ??
2.can we put the kernel (even though very small part of it) in the bios
itself??

Regards
saurabh shandilya