What is the difference between a kernel BUG and a kernel Oops?

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Sat Mar 3 05:55:47 EST 2012

Hi!

On 17:38 Sat 03 Mar     , hujun_hotmail wrote:
> I want to know what is the difference between a kernel BUG and a kernel Oops , who can tell me?

A BUG() is something like an assertion. Basically this means that a developer
thought that a certain situation should never be happen and if it does,
execution should stop. It is possible to ignore this and continue executing:

config BUG
        bool "BUG() support" if EXPERT
        default y
        help
          Disabling this option eliminates support for BUG and WARN, reducing
          the size of your kernel image and potentially quietly ignoring
          numerous fatal conditions. You should only consider disabling this
          option for embedded systems with no facilities for reporting errors.
          Just say Y.

A kernel oops is basically a crash. This can be caused by bad memory accesses
and things like that.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com