correct CONFIG_HZ option

Andreas Platschek andi.platschek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:03:51 EDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:21 PM, solmac john wrote:
> Thanks for reply
> what is CONFIG_NO_HZ
Hi!

If you have no idea what a config entry means, use the help in
menuconfig (or whatever you are using)... e.g. for CONFIG_NO_HZ tells you

----------<snip>--------------
CONFIG_NO_HZ:

  This option enables a tickless system: timer interrupts will
  only trigger on an as-needed basis both when the system is
  busy and when the system is idle.

Symbol: NO_HZ [=n]
Type  : boolean
Prompt: Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)
    Defined at kernel/time/Kconfig:7
    Depends on: !ARCH_USES_GETTIMEOFFSET && GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS [=y]
    Location:
      -> Processor type and features
    Selects: TICK_ONESHOT [=n]
----------<snap>-------------

So this already gives you a general idea what the config entry does, and
some other useful info like dependency on other stuff that has to be
turn on/off.
> can we enable CONFIG_NO_HZ and CONFIG_HZ both in our config
This question is also answered here, as "Depends on:" would include
!CONFIG_HZ_250 if it had to be switched or sth.

> and what the drawback of dynamic CONFIG_NO_HZ tick.

I think the problems of longer latencies only apply on idle systems. Not
100% sure, but I think when the cpu goes into idle, the periodic timer
is stopped and longer intervals are done using one-shot timer to avoid
forcing the cpu out of idle just to see that nothing is to do and go
back into idle.
But I think if the CPU is not in idle the periodic timer.

regards,
andi