From which tree can I start Linux kernel development

Sannu K sannumail4foss at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:01:50 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I would like to contribute to linux kernel. I have gone through the
coding style used and other stuffs. I would like to plunge into kernel
development. To do that should I start with linux-next git tree?

Please let me know whether the following procedure is correct:
1. Clone linux-next tree.
2. Make modifications.
3. Create patch and check it against checkpatch.pl.
4. Mail patch to the maintainers.
5. Get the patches reviewed and do necessary changes. Do step 4 and
step5 as many time as necessary.
6. Patch gets merges into kernel.

I would like to work on stuff related to graphics or video. Is there any
small task that I could start with? Please provide some pointers and
suggestions.

Thanks,
Sannu