correct CONFIG_HZ option

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:17:36 EDT 2012

Hi... :)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM, solmac john <johnsolmac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using ARM multicore board and by default

okay, I am answering it from what I know about HZ impact on x86...

> CONFIG_HZ=250

looks good... a middle safe number, not too high not too low...

> Query: - 1- How to decide HZ for particular hardware

it's you who decide...do you want finer grained timer? or coarse one?

the impact is usually toward latency and responsiveness....together
with preemption model you choose actually.

>               2- Which is the best open source tool to test system
> performance from given HZ.

run your application in that platform and see if it gives you impact.
from my experience, unless you need application that is sensitive in
timing such as MIDI sequencer, you won't notice the difference.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant