Journey of a network packet through linux 2.6 network stack

AFT aftnix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:15:10 EDT 2012

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo at netfilter.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:25:01PM +0600, AFT wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A document with this heading can be found for 2.4 network stack. But i
>> have not found any document regarding 2.6 network stack.
>>
>> When i was searching netfilter mailing list archive, i got the following
>> post :
>>
>> http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2007-august/069583.html
>>
>> in this post author mentioned about a document named after this. but
>> does not gave any link to that document.
>>
>> so i'm wondering if any similar document can be found?
>
> You've got Linux Networking internals.
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002558.do
>
> It's pretty think, but it provides some panoramic. As kernel code
> evolves quite quickly, you may find that some things have changed, but
> it's a good base to start with if you're looking for an alternative to
> reading pure code.

Hi Pablo,

I have a scanned pdf of Linux kernel internals. But i stopped reading
when i found out struct sk_buff does not have a member struct
sk_buff_head * list like the book mentioned. It turns out its removed in
2.6.14/15 series where the book references a earlier code.

On the plus side this made me set up cscope in my emacs. So i guess i
should thank the book for this.

Cheers.