modules in Initramfs

Peter Senna Tschudin peter.senna at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:23:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:37 AM, beyond.hack <beyond.hack at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for your sir,
> but one more thing i like to know is that if all the modules needed by the
> kernel are in `initramfs` image then what is the need of the
> /lib/modules/<kernel version>?? won`t it be redundant??
Modules at initramfs are used for booting the system. If you use LVM,
Software RAID, encryption or a disk controller that is not supported
without a module, all those features require modules that need to be
loaded before mounting the root partition. Those modules are in the
initramfs.

Modules at /lib/modules/<kernel version> can be loaded when you plug
new hardware like a webcam or a pendrive.