For smp, is it possible that a timer can be run at the same time on different cpus?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:10:20 EDT 2012

Hi.... :)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM, rednoah <rednoax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>   The kernel I use is 2.6.29-rc3 and among the timer_list function there is
> "add_timer_on".
> For smp, Is it possible for a timer to be run at the same time on different
> cpus? suppose the
> following sequence:
> 1. a timer is being run on CPU 0, and the timer callback function use
> add_time_on to add itself on CPU 1;
>   the expires is set to "jiffies + 0" to make it to be run as quickly as
> possible on CPU 1.
> 2. so there is chance that 2 cpus run the same timer at the same time?

Interesting issue :)

IMHO, even though you ask for "jiffies+" a.k.a current time,
scheduling delay will make it run in the very very near future. This
is plus the fact that I know that timer is running everytime time
interrupt is receieved... so IMHO that very near future is actually
jiffies+1 (current time + (1/HZ))

I might be wrong here though :)

--
regards,