Regarding Memory models

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 00:42:26 EDT 2012

Hi :)

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM, sandeep kumar <coolsandyforyou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While going through the Kernel memory management code, i came across the few
> configuration options.
> I would like to know more clearly about the following things.
>
> 1) What is FLAT MEMORY MODEL & SPARSE MEMORY MODEL & DISCONTIGEOUS memory?

Flat memory is memory model we use everyday in x86 PCs. Or in more
technical term, it is used in UMA (Unified Memory Access).

in NUMA, you can use either sparse or discontigeous. But I am not sure
about the difference. The help text only says discontig is better in
perfomance rather than sparsemem, but sparse mem is more compatible
with memory hotplug.

> Which cases you use each of them
>
> 2) What is Memory hot plugging?

it's an ability to unplug the memory module while your machine is running.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant