kgdb over ethernet support for 3.x kernel

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 01:39:26 EDT 2012

have not heard of such feature available, but technically, the reason why
serial port is important is because it is initialized at a very early stage
in linux kernel bootup, and anything that happened before that cannot be
analyzed via kgdb as well.   i am not sure why u need ethernet.   normally
my approach is to use VirtualBox running a kernel with kgdb parameters all
setup, and then define a virtual serial port in VirtualBox, to connect to a
pipe, and then from host OS, use gdb to attach via "target remote" to the
virtual terminal, which is created via the "socat" command.

Search the web for details.

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=socat+virtualbox+serial+kgdb<http://www.google.com.sg/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=socat+virtualbox+serial+kgdb>

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Amit Nagal <helloin.amit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM,  <Ashish_Bunkar at dell.com> wrote:
> > what i know is gdb over ethernet is removed from newer kernels.
> > Please let me know if you have some other information.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ashish Bunkar
> > From: kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org [
> kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of Amit Nagal [
> helloin.amit at gmail.com]
> > Subject: kgdb over ethernet support for 3.x kernel
> >
> > Hi ,
> >
> > 3.x kernel does not seem to have built in support to use kgdb over
> > ethernet functionality .
> > To use this , can i be guided from where i can download patch for the
> > same and apply to 3.x series kernel ?
> >
> > thanx & regards
> > Amit Nagal
> >

> Actually i want to to debug kernel modules with kgdb - gdb connected
> over tcp / udp port
> as depicted in
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jwessel/kdb/EnableKGDB.html
> section 3 .
> but in kernel , there seems to no built in support for that .
>
> Thanx & Regards
> Amit Nagal

Regards,
Peter Teoh