Recursive Makefile howto

Manavendra Nath Manav mnm.kernel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 04:44:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Dave Hylands <dhylands at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Manavendra,
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Manavendra Nath Manav
> <mnm.kernel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have developed a Makefile which recursively builds the code spread
>> across multiple directories, each having it's own Makefile.
>
> You may want to reconsider your approach:
> http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
> http://evbergen.home.xs4all.nl/nonrecursive-make.html
>
> --
> Dave Hylands
> Shuswap, BC, Canada
> http://www.davehylands.com

Thanks Dave, I went through both the links provided by you and the
make process is pretty much clear to me now. The following two points
I would want elaborate from the paper:
1. As a rule of thumb: always use immediate evaluation assignment
unless you knowingly want deferred evaluation.
2. You will get more accurate builds of your project if you use
whole-project make rather than recursive make.

--
Manavendra Nath Manav